Wednesday, February 13, 2013

100th Day of School - Homeschool, That Is! ;)

Woo hoo!  Yesterday was the 100th day of our school year!  I must say I was a bit worried that we had missed it with all that has been going on at our home lately, but as I caught up on attendance/homeschool day records, I realized (JOY!) we hadn't passed that mark yet after all.   I even had a few days to quickly come up with some ideas...double JOY!

So being the Pinterest lover that I am, I headed that way for some inspiration.  Thank you once again Pinterest for helping to save the day (someone seriously needs to come up with a button saying "Pinterest to the rescue!"  Actually, they probably already have...and pinned it.  But I digress...).

Here's how the day went...


Miss A burst through a "100" sign when she got up in the morning (it was taped over the doorway).


A "100th Day" balloons and bear sign graced the table (a freebie that I colored).  I also added a little pizzazz to some breakfast muffins by sticking crazy candles on top.


We decorated more freebies - these ones for wearing: 100th Day of School hats and glasses.


One of our first activities involved a Smarties hunt to go along with the "Congratulations - you are 100 days smarter!" note.  I had the kids use spoons (although at the end they switched to hands) to dig through the mix of cereal in a pan and then place the Smarties on a hundreds number chart.  

Once all the goodies had been recovered, it was time to practice some subtraction...in other words:  time to indulge those watering, patient little mouths.  You must admit, it is kind of amazing that all the Smarties actually made it onto the chart!


Then it was time for a weighing activity.  Notice that I posted this even though I was the only thing listed as weighing more than 100 pounds.  I'm not sweating it, but I DID have Daddy add his name to the list when he arrived home.


Snack time was an extra special affair - a make-your-own 100th day snack mix with some little surprise treats included (like M&M's).  I gave Miss A a paper on which to record the groups of ten items each as she counted them out from the ten paper plates to reach the big 1-0-0.  

Yummmm - definitely a hit!  :)


And knowing what the snack was going to be, I chose to do this activity afterwards to use up that sugar.  "How wise of you, Michelle" you might be tempted to think - but hold that thought...  

I suddenly realized that I was going to be roped into doing most, if not all, the exercises as well - why I didn't plan for this when I was coming up with exercises is beyond me.  BUT, I made it through our little workout - thinking more than once how this part or that part of my body would probably be sore later on...


This was another activity we found time for during the day, AND it was another freebie (find it here).  :)  I LOVE Miss A's responses - definitely going in the memory box!   Some of you may already know how to read Childrenish, but for those who have yet to discover the pleasure, here's a key for some of my favorite words/phrases:
"bracking throo a sin" = breaking through a sign
casols = castles
hawis = houses
noospaprs = newspapers
pickchurs = pictures
yun = young

I also like how her "this is what I look like today" and "this is how I think I will look in 100 years" pictures look the same except for the size.  Obviously, she would be more grown up in 100 years.  ;)


After that activity, we spent a very brief amount of time discussing aging and the elderly.  So this was how she made herself look in this picture showing her as a 100 year old woman.  

Another fun phrase completion:  "When I am 100 years old,  I will be too old to put up wreaths."  Cracks me up.  Definitely not what I would have written or thought of, but that is the beauty (and cuteness) of such open-ended possibility questions.

Well off to bed and then on to Valentine's Day activities...


Linking up here:
http://www.theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/
www.homeschoolcreations.blogspot.net
www.tatertotsandjello.com


More the Merrier MondayHip Homeschool Hop Button
One Artsy Mama

5 comments:

  1. How fun! I especially liked the 100 Day News idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fun idea! I had never thought to have a "100 days of school" celebration! We are well beyond that now...we school year round and started last May officially...but maybe next year we will do this! Great freebies too :-) My kids would love the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love 100 day of school celebrations. I had never seen the 100th day news print out before. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! We did a 100 day celebration as well...I'll have to incorporate some of your ideas next year! Thanks!

    http://eclecticmomma.blogspot.com/2012/12/100th-day-of-school-celebration.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete